The thought of having to spend two or more years with a mouth full of metal has struck fear into the hearts of both teens and adults since the creation of braces. Adults especially have dealt with the self-consciousness of crooked, misaligned teeth instead of enduring the look and feel of traditional teeth braces. With the breakthrough treatment of Invisalign braces, the look and feel of metal is no longer a concern. Patients can enjoy the effectiveness braces with the benefit of easy maintenance, comfort and invisible look. So what makes Invisalign the better choice?
Advantages to Invisalign
- Comfort: Any time your teeth shift, there is some discomfort. However, with Invisalign, there are no metal wires to tighten, wires that break or brackets that pop off. Having a wire or bracket come off or break can injure the inside of the mouth, often leading to a dental emergency. With Invisalign, the smooth, easy fitting aligners are gentle on the gums and inside cheek.
- Hygiene: This is another area where Invisalign can really be an advantage. Since the aligners can be removed(for a short duration), patients can brush and floss their teeth with no obstructions allowing for a complete cleaning day and night. This can makes a significant difference when it comes to getting kids to brush, which is difficult enough without wires and brackets to navigate.
- Cost: The cost of Invisalign is comparable to traditional braces, although you variations may exist among providers. Just as with traditional braces, the duration of the treatment will affect the final cost. As for insurance, most dental insurance plans will cover Invisalign the same as they would traditional braces.
- Effectiveness: In numerous case studies, Invisalign has been found to give the same results as traditional braces for most dental problems. As long as patients wear their aligners as instructed and keep up with their regular Invisalign check-ups, the results will be perfectly aligned straight teeth.
- Easy Cleaning: Because the aligners for Invisalign are removable, cleaning and maintenance is very simple. Just as you would with a retainer, the aligners are removed before you eat and when you brush and floss your teeth. Aligners can be rinsed and cleaned with plain water ensuring they are free of plaque and bacteria.
- Look: This is the biggest reason patients choose Invisalign over braces. Since the aligners are made of a clear plastic material, they are virtually invisible when worn. Unlike all the metal wires and brackets that are required with traditional braces, the Invisalign aligners are virtually undetectable unless examined up close.